Hint: She didn’t take any money from outside investors!
Answer: $25,000 from her savings!
- What can we learn from the business success of Rachel Drori?
- How did Rachel’s commitment to her idea lead to the growth and profit of the company Daily Harvest?
- What does Rachel’s story teach us about the importance of saving, especially when trying to achieve financial or professional goals?
Behind the numbers (Forbes):
- Rachel Drori started the frozen food delivery service Daily Harvest in 2015, funding it with $25,000 from her savings.
- She started making smoothies on weekends in a commercial kitchen leased in Queens, paying her teenage nephews $20 a night to deliver them in Manhattan.
- She pledged that she wouldn’t quit her day job until orders from strangers outweighed friend’s and family’s purchases fivefold. It took two months.
- In November 2021, Daily Harvest raised $100 million from private investors at a $1.1 billion valuation; Drori owns an estimated 35% stake.
- Celebrity investors include Gwyneth Paltrow, Serena Williams, snowboarder Shaun White and chef Bobby Flay.
Learn more at Women Mathematicians to highlight in your classroom!
Looking for more Questions of the Day? Here are the most popular from 2022.