French builder Gunboat has announced the addition of the Gunboat 70 design to its portfolio of high-performance cruising catamarans. , provides some background.
“It has been six years since we designed the Gunboat 68 and we are now building units 6 and 7 and two each of the 72 and 80 series, with their firsts launching this spring and summer,” Benoit Lebizay, Gunboat managing partner says. “We’re evolution focused as it is, and with the facilities and network we’ve built from our factory headquarters in France, we’ve become experts at precision boatbuilding and really opened the doors for a high level of customization. The 70 reflects our culmination of knowledge and the top interests of clients today who are looking in this size range.”
Gunboat was founded by American Peter Johnstone and acquired by Grand Large Yachts in 2016. Grand Large moved production from the U.S. to La Grand-Motte, France.
Key features of the Gunboat 70 include:
- A Large salon, expanded fore, aft, and outboard
- Increased flow and interconnection between the salon and aft cockpit
- Rig position moved aft on cabin top for performance and optimal sail plan balance. With mast moved aft, the sail plan includes a larger self-tacking solent (J2) and a higher aspect main sail that is more manageable for crew.
- The option to add dual aft helms, in addition to Gunboat’s signature inside helm and forward cockpit setup. Inside, a new function of the wheel is the ability to pivot from center to port and starboard for optimal positioning when steering.
- Expanded owners cabin located aft in the starboard hull
- A galley-down option with crew mess, for even more living/lounging/dining space in the salon
- Redesigned systems incorporating advancements and upgrades developed through the Gunboat 80 projects – resulting in cleaner, lighter, more durable and safe systems.
- Dedicated aft engine rooms and amidships technical space with optimized soundproofing capabilities and accessibility for monitoring and maintenance
- Advancements in renewables, maximizing solar and battery storage
- The option between two fully engineered rig packages, or to customize
The Gunboat 70 is an intentionally versatile platform, allowing the owner to set the cursor and optimize their Gunboat on the continuum from full cruising to maximum performance and anywhere between. Options are engineered in collaboration with VPLP for performance, safety, and viability of the platform. Clients who opt to customize further have access to engage with Gunboat’s extensive network of experts across the industry.
A full range of interior personalization allows each client to meet their requirements and add their own touch. In collaboration with Gunboat’s in house team are VPLP Design (naval architecture) and Patrick le Quément and Christophe Chedal Anglay (design).
For more information: gunboat.com