My easy Top Round Roast Beef recipe is perfect for a special occasion or a Sunday dinner. This lean cut of beef cooks into a tender and flavorful roast that your whole family will love!
Serve this delicious tender beef with au jus or beef gravy. My easy recipe is guaranteed to become your go-to recipe for beef roast.
Table of Contents:
Ingredients to make Top Round Roast Beef
Let’s start by gathering the ingredients we need to make my Easy Top Round Roast Beef. In Chef Speak, this is called the “Mise en Place,” which translates to “Everything in its Place.”
Not only does setting up your ingredients ahead of time speed up the cooking process, it also helps ensure you have everything you need to make the dish.
*I like using fresh herbs to make this recipe, but you can also use dried herbs, including garlic powder instead of the fresh chopped garlic.
How to make Top Round Roast Beef
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and set the oven rack in the center of the oven.
- Fit a wire rack in a roasting pan and set aside until needed.
- Add the chopped garlic, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, cracked black pepper, kosher salt, dried oregano, and dry mustard to a small bowl.
- Mix the seasonings together to combine.
- Pat the roast dry with paper towels, then rub the olive oil over the entire surface of the beef.
- Rub the seasoning mixture on the top, bottom, and sides. Let the roast sit for 20-30 minutes to come to room temperature before placing it in the oven. This will help the meat cook more evenly.
- Place the seasoned roast on the rack in a roasting pan, then place the roast uncovered on the center rack of the preheated oven and roast for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 325 degrees F. and continue to cook for another 45 to 60 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into the center of the roast reads between 125 and 130 degrees F.
Use a meat thermometer or instant read thermometer to check on the internal temperature of the roast.
MEATER Plus: Wireless Smart Meat Thermometer
I love this thermometer and actually have a set of four that I use for oven roasting, grilling, and smoking. The phone app makes it easy to check on the temperatures of what you’re cooking.
This post includes affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Remove the beef from the oven and loosely tent it with aluminum foil.
- Let the roast rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing to give the juices time to redistribute into the beef.
- While the beef is resting, add a cup of water to the pan drippings in the roasting pan and place it on the stove to heat back up. Use a heavy spoon to scrape all the tasty browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Strain the au jus and keep warm until ready to serve the beef.
*If you need more au jus add a little beef broth to the pan. You can also add red wine to the pan for a more flavorful au jus.
This tender and delicious top round roast beef will make the meat eaters in your family very happy. It’s also a great dish for game day or to make a week night a special occasion.
Store any leftover roast beef in an airtight container for 4-5 days. It can also be frozen for up to 2 months.
A top round roast beef is cut from the inside of the hind leg of a steer. It’s a lean cut of beef that is typically boneless and can be roasted to make a delicious and tender roast. This is the same part of the steer that a London broil comes from.
This beef roast is most commonly used for deli roast beef. As far as inexpensive cuts of beef go, this lean cut of meat is packed with flavor, and since this muscle isn’t as heavily worked as other parts of the steer, it’s fairly tender.
The cooking time will depend on the size of your roast, as well as your desired doneness. As a general guideline, you can estimate about 20 minutes of cooking time per pound for medium-rare. Use a meat thermometer to check for the desired internal temperature.